Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Own Breed of Sunflowers






For those who know me well, you know I love sunflowers and flowers of the like (like daisies, black-eyed susans, etc) Two years ago I planted Moulin Rouge Sunflowers (very deep burgundy color) and Mammoth Sunflowers (the dinner platter size that only grows/blooms one flower). Thanks to the plethora of the neighbor's bees pollinating the flowers over the last two years they have morphed into beautiful crosses of the two flowers (they were beautiful before, but they are unique and fun now). Now I get some that have a burgundy center and yellow tips on the petals, or a washed burgundy color, or a plant with several blooms from large to small. The color shades are different to some degree on almost all the flowers. They changed slightly from the morphed ones of last year, who knows what they will progress to next year. Anyone want seeds? Let me know, I collect several of them to give away and plant next year (although this years patch grew on its own from seeds that fell last year, and I was going to move flowers around to different beds this year, but didn't have the heart to pull sunflowers...is that even legal! :) j/k)

This is what they originally looked like, I personally love the change!:

5 comments:

  1. You and your sunflowers! They do look pretty cool. I hope you are enjoying them! Soon you can enjoy them from your deck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look sweet! I want some seeds... I don't know when I would get them, but I'm sure we'll see you sometime! How is the pregnancy going? Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey this is Elaine could you invite me to your page I don't have your email so thats why I am on Emma's. My email is Bobdaone@gmail.com and those flowers look awesome. I would like some seeds to if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good, I will send seeds in the fall, for planting next year! Can't guarantee what they will look like...they change a bit each year...but that is the fun part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool flowers! Maybe bees could do the same thing with other flowers like roses.

    ReplyDelete