Friday, November 7, 2008

The Arrival!



She is here, but I will be posting a Post of just her and her stats. This is just a note and a few pictures. Hospitals as many of you know aren't the most fun place to stay the night...they aren't quite an upscale hotel...and yet they aren't as bad as the "Cozy Inn" we stayed at on our way to Kansas in August when we just needed a place to sleep!


Tuesday morning around 6:30 they started the petocin to get labor going. Around 7:30 the Dr. broke the amniotic fluid and told me I was committed to having that baby...as if I wasn't already :) . The contractions were bearable until around 9:00 when they started getting very strong and only about 30 seconds of rest time between them. This is when the nurse checked and told me I had probably another six or more hours to go. I stuck with it and by 10:30 I was needing the epidural, which I hadn't decided on one way or another prior to going in. Around 11:15 I got the epidural and could have kissed the anesthesiologist...although, he was a little like Ben Stein and don't think he found the humor in my joke.


Even with the epidural, it still isn't comfortable, but the sharp, strong pain is numb and I could REST! By 2:40 I began pushing. I had had a nurse I really enjoyed up until 3:00, when it was time for her to leave...then the drill instructor nurse took over! At first I didn't like her, and I snapped back at her a few times...but she kept on me. I actually appreciate her drill instructor approach. When the doctor came in to check me after the nurses had called him to tell him they could see the head not too far from crowning, he discovered she was transverse. (which is still head down, but facing the wrong direction). This can make for much harder pushing and delivery...not that I know the difference. And yes, even with the epidural I could feel the immense pressure of her pushing her way through. He told me I had 15 minutes to make some substantial progress otherwise we may need to move to a Cesarean....she was out in 20 minutes after that! I had to get an episiotomy and she still tore me a little more than what the doctor had cut.

Michael and my Mom were both GREAT supports!! I really appreciated them at the hospital and now at home. We are adjusting to life with Danae. She is precious and perfect...just needs to sleep as much during the night as she does during the day :)

5 comments:

  1. I love the picture of Michael and Danae. I'm sure she already has him wrapped around her little finger!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for the three of you! Danae is just beautiful, I can't wait to see all of you. Looking at her makes her gramie cry. Love, mom & gramie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pictures! I know the feeling there... only I didn't know Rachel was "Sunny Side Up" until the Dr. took her out after cutting me open. You are lucky that you still dialated, I stopped at a 5, and 18 hours later (with NO epidural) they decided to cut me open. I'm glad everything went "Good" for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Mole!! She is so cute!! I wish I was there, it would have been an awesomely unique experience. I guess I'll just have to deal with hogging her when I get to Cornville. Hoping you are feeling well.

    Lizard.
    P.S. I can't wait to DNA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry that's supposed to be I can't wait to hold DNA

    ReplyDelete