Friday, July 25, 2008

Power...what a wonderful thing!



Last weekend, due to lightning I think, we (all of Cornville) lost power from Saturday night to Monday morning. I am just grateful Sunday was mostly overcast, it is just too hot this time of year for not even a fan! I had let the horses' water get low on Saturday night so I could dump it and scrub the tub Sunday morning...without electricity there is no water because we are on a well. This posed another stress...gotta get water to my horses! Our neighbor had "harvested" rain water from the storm the week prior, so I got several buckets from him, but that doesn't last horses very long. Thank goodness our friend Shawn came to the rescue and hauled us in some water!! I can deal with the rest of the issues, but that one was stressing me since it takes so much water for them in a hot day!


In the evening, it was cooler on the deck than in the house, so Michael and I took the opportunity to spend some non-house-working time together. We could only do so much in the house because it was hot and there was no water or electricity. We didn't want to do much outside because it was hot and we would have no place to cool off or clean up. We took out some chairs and put the chess board on a barrel and finally, Michael taught me how to play chess. I have to admit, I haven't been all to interested to learn, but I did want to learn so Michael would have someone to play with. I actually like the game, if Michael would quit winning all the time it would be that much more fun if I got to say Check-Mate once in a while. :)

All in all, I am that much more appreciative of the life power provides us!!

3 comments:

  1. It is very eye opening to have to live without power, especially this time of year! I imagine you are relieved to have power again, and so grateful too. Good luck in the chess thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad everyone survived without water and electricity! I've never learned how to play chess. Is it real difficult to learn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awefull. N power in the summer in your condition. I am so sorry and glad you survived it. Atleast you live were it is a little bit cooler.

    ReplyDelete