Saturday, February 21, 2009

Easing the Pain of an Old Friend

I sit here holding back the tears (I'm not doing a very good job of holding them back) as I reminise in the pictures of Miller. Wednesday I made the decision to ease Miller's pain and send him to chase lizards for eternity. Back in November he was diagnosed with bone cancer. I put him on "hospise" and did what I could to manage his pain. He dwindled from near 100 lbs to 70 lbs. His leg just looked incredibly painful with how swollen the cancer had made it. He had lost the joy Miller always had and I couldn't even get him to wag his tail....I knew it was time to let him go.

Of course Miller didn't make it any easier by chasing a cat off the deck when we walked out the door...don't know where he mustered up the energy or strength.

I adopted Miller when he was 8 weeks old. This eternally happy dog was such a joy to have around, not really knowing his true size he always wanted to be in your lap or lay by your side. He made it almost to twelve years old. Five years ago we adopted Nala...who immediately took to being Millers best friend and shadow. She has been having a difficult time not having Miller to lay next to, perhaps her and Tukir will become better friends. Tukir seems to be doing fine, but I wouldn't expect anything else from him.


Here Miller is around 2 years old and lying with at 6 week old kitten I was bottle feeding after she had been brought into the Humane Society at 3 weeks old with no mother.
Tukir and Miller have been pals almost since day one. Here they are both under a year old and playing tug-o-war with the leash.

Hard to believe the near 100 lb dog was once so small!


3 comments:

  1. Oh Rena! I am so sorry to hear about Miller. These kinds of decisions are always so hard. But I know he is in a better place. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did good!! you gave him a great life and lots of love!! At least we are lucky enough to let out pets go when life is no longer a joy for them. He will be missed and is very loved!! Give Nala a kiss for us and tell her we are very sorry she lost her best bud :)
    Take care, We love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I'm crying. I'm glad he came into our family, he was a really awesome dog. I'll miss him forever and always, but I'm glad he is in a better place.

    ReplyDelete